Friday, February 26, 2010

Where It All Began

First, a bit of perspective, so bear with me if it goes a bit long. My initial exposure to Games Workshop was to Warhammer Fantasy in 8th grade. One of my good friends, James, was brought into the hobby and wanted me to play with him. He went on about the different armies to pick from and leading them into combat on a field of battle, as an omnipotent general. Needless to say, I was hooked. At that age, I had already spent years reading science fiction and fantasy books, and so it seemed to be a dream come true.

Sadly, my monetary income did not match my ardor for participating in the game. At 12-years-old, I learned just how expensive a hobby miniature gaming can be. If that was not a deterrent enough, I opened my box of orcs only to discover they were unassembled and unpainted, and not at all like the ones on the box. That was about it for me. Into the closet they went, and Warhammer was forgotten.

Fast forward 7 years, and I am just into my sophomore year at college. When browsing through the Barnes & Noble, I came across a fantasy book entitled Gotrek & Felix. The Warhammer caught my interest, and I discovered the whole Black Library section. That moment led to a few purchased books that would eventually lead to having a collection of all of their novels, art books, background books, etc. If it was fluff, I had it.

I never ventured into miniatures over the past few years, as I did not think I would be able to paint well, or assemble well, or a number of other excuses. Now, thanks to am understanding fiancé, I am giving it a go. She has not only listened to me go on about the books, but always asks questions and has sincerely expressed an interest in the material. It made me realize that if you love something this much, why not submerse yourself in all of it? So this blog will be about my miniatures mostly, as well as other related material as it occurs to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment